Friday, February 5, 2016

The Simcoe Bug

  It was about a decade ago when I started seeing this bizarre fly being sold in the tackle shops around the Lake Simcoe area. It had the appearance of a simple, technicolor scud on steroids and right off the bat Tackle Shop was urging me to mass produce them. At the time I had absolutely no wish to buy or tie that weird little fly as I had more than enough terminal tackle for icing perch. A decade later and it's more popular than ever, attaining legendary status in some areas. The word is that when the perch are off the feed bag and nothing else seems to work, those in the know tie on a Simcoe Bug.

  As I've mentioned in a few posts lately, buying ice tackle is out this year and anything new will have to be made. I didn't really need tying instructions, but I did a Google search anyways hoping to find some info on who originally tied it and was surprised the only reliable info came from John White's excellent website Time On The Water Canada . In a detailed article on perch fishing through the ice I found the originator of the Simcoe Bug was a long time local guide by the name Leon Maloney.

  Tying the SB is incredibly simple; a weighted hook, a bulky tapered body with a rib and shiny coating. These tying instructions are geared more towards ice fishermen.


1. Wind thread onto a #6 partidge hook. Wind 3"
 heavy lead wire onto hook shank leaving 1/8"     space behind the eye. If you don't have lead     wire hammer a large split shot flat and roll it   onto the hook. Wind the thread over the lead to   secure it and leave the thread near the bend.

                                                                               

                                              


                            
2. Tie in rib material at hook bend. In this case I used 5 strands of crystal flash with the tag ends hanging as a tail. Tie in body material and wind thread to the front of the hook .



                                        

 

3. Wind the body material forward in tight wraps, building a humpback shape. Tie off and clip excess material.







4. Twist the strands of crystal flash into a rope and wind forward in even wraps. Tie off and clip excess.

5. Apply a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy and ley dry.
  For the rib you could use anything that will contrast the body color: wire, tinsel, thread etc.
  For the body: yarn, thread, string etc. 

  Yesterday I tied another deer hair bass bug. I was so excited to see the patterns appear as I was trimming it to shape that I mistakenly cut through the thread near the tail! Immediately the hair started to fall out but I managed to repair it by winding a new thread through the affected area, catching both ends of the cut thread and dousing it with head cement. I was left with a 1/4" bald spot by the tail which was filled with a palmered hackle. 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe, luckily I don't fish for perch through the ice. That would give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame Howard. It's not too often you can boast between 200 and 400 fish per person in a day.

      Delete